After the weary 2016 collects its good and not so good memories and shuffles out the door, here are some old and some fresh toasts for the 2017 New Year.
According to historian Sarah Bond, just before the clock strikes twelve this New Year’s Eve, the ritual of the toast can serve many purposes: as an act of remembering, as a look toward the future, as an exclamation of hope or as a means of courting divine favor before you take that first sip. Try out a few of these historic toasts as you usher in 2017.
Some Irish toasts:
- May your giving hand never fail you.
- May we all be alive at this same time next year
- May the Lord keep you in the palm of His hand, and never close His fist too tight!
- May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live!
- May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more. and nothing but happiness come through your door
May the Best of 2016 be the Worst of 2017.